Thursday, August 3, 2023

Random

 This will be a random post about whatever comes up through pictures I haven't posted. This should be interesting 😊


Our veggies are ripening slowly this year!

These tiny peppers are getting there. 
The larger green peppers are few and have yet to be tasted
because they are growing so slowly! 
Certainly not like last year where we had so many.


So far we had 2 tomatoes.
The birds are pecking at them so some had to be tossed.
More are slowly ripening...
come on already!!
Looking forward to a good BLT!


Wildlife in our back yard.
Last evening we had 2 adult deer and three fawns visit.

Don't like their snacking but I guess cana lilies are tasty!



They hung around for about a half hour.


This happened earlier this summer...
the birdfeeder was laying on the ground!
We were perplexed by that.

There was a bear seen in our neighborhood a week or so before this 
but we didn't think it could have been the bear.
Well, we found out that another neighbor saw it at her birdfeeder in her front yard
about the same time our feeder was on the ground...
sooo, possibly?? Probably.
Just sad we didn't see it!

As you can see the Peter and Alvin are enjoying the spills πŸ˜„


New Glasses!

Ellen is getting new glasses!
She tried a lot of frames and these are the ones she chose.
Hopefully they will be ready next week.

I am getting new ones too!
Ordered them yesterday so it will probably be two weeks till they are ready.
I think it's been 7 years since my last ones so it is TIME! 



Christmas in July at Scoops

On Sunday evening we went to Scoops for ice cream.
Our neighbors came too
and their dog, Willow.


Noah loves Willow!



Ellen and I enjoyed lunch there earlier in the week
on a very hot day.
We thoroughly enjoyed the decorations and the Christmas music!


Sister weekend

Here we are with our sister-in-law too!
from left:
Nancy (SIL), me, Rose (SC), Barb (ID), 
Betty (NH), Mary Ellen (PA), Jean (PA).

We had a wonderful time,
stayed at an Air B&B here in PA.


This house suited us perfectly!

I didn't take many pictures, just know that we had the best time
talking, laughing, shedding a few tears,
watching a movie, visiting my dads sister and brother and wife,
eating way too much (!), visiting a park we used to go to as kids...
the time together went way too fast as it always does.


One of our meals was at Nancy's house 
sitting around the Witmer table.
Always so special!

Already looking forward to next year!

Let me see if I can find one more picture...


The story about these eggs..
I was planning to make an egg casserole in the crockpot for Saturday morning.
Around midnight I was putting it all together, went to the frig to get the eggs.
OOPS, I forgot to bring eggs!

What to do...
finally Betty and I decided to go to the nearest all night store,
Sheetz, to see if they had any.
Sadly, they did not.
I thought we should just let it go till morning and I would go to a grocery store 
and just bake it in the oven.
But we ended up going to another Sheetz.
It was a hopping place...very busy, all three cash registers staffed!
Remember, this was well past midnight by now.
Oh, and on the way to this store, Jeanie called me because she was worried about us
and as I was talking and Betty was driving through this crazy figure 8 
intersection, not familiar with the road...
we went through a red light!!

Thankfully this store had eggs, 2 dozen!
I only needed 1.
Betty said we should look to be sure the eggs were ok,
nope, one was cracked.
So we looked at the other dozen
and one was missing!!

We did what any reasonable person would do at 1 in the morning,
took a good egg out of the one with the cracked egg
and place it in the spot where one was missing in the other.

We laughed, paid for them and went on our merry way back to the house.

The funny thing is...we had to make that trip a few more times,
just not late at night.
Betty said next year she is going to call before she drives past 
Sheetz to see is we need anything..
trouble is, we probably wouldn't know if we did yet!
It's so fun getting old πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚



I'll stop here. It's way past lunch time and I'm hungry!

Take care, enjoy the month of August!










5 comments:

Mari said...

Yikes! That bear was just a little too close for comfort. I love seeing deer, especially fawns/
Ellens new glasses look nice.
I love your sisters weekend. I told my sisters we need to do that too.

Kathy said...

I didn't realize you had deer and bears in Lancaster. Yikes! Ellen's new glasses look just right on her. So pretty!

I had to laugh reading about your eggs. What a great solution. Glad you had fun with your sisters.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoyed finding a new post, Doris, and the story at the end about the egg run was amusing. Looks like you all had a great time at the sisters get together, lots of smiling faces all around and a nice tradition to keep up each year!

Cindy said...

Love that story about the eggs! Too funny! My daughter lived in PA for a few years and took us to Sheetz when we visited. It was a good store! That Air B&B is gorgeous! We've stayed in a couple and both were very nice. We love them. Sounds like you had a wonderful time together!

Jean said...

Wow, I had fun finally reading this post! I guess you posted it the day we left for Portland and I never did "get around to it."

Oh, that wonderful egg story, hahahahaha!!!! You will not live that down any more than Janet with her milk-less quiche!