Saturday, March 21, 2020

Weathering the Storm

How are you all doing?

I should be accomplishing more than I am.
But cleaning out closets and such,
cleaning in general, is not my favorite activity.

Soooo,
yeah.

I'd rather be reading ☺

Yesterday was a beautiful warm day in the 70's!

This kid was telling me
how when he's older he will go over the railing
and jump down.
Say what??

No.You. Will. Not!!

But look at that face,
think he enjoys messing with his Nana much?


This, my friends, is the place to be on a nice day ☺



And what do I see??
A bit of green!!!
(Maybe it an evergreen tree but I don't remember seeing it before)

Oh my, I enjoyed time spent on my porch.
And wearing my favorite Crocs too!!

But, whew, do I ever need a pedi.
Not gonna happen
unless I give it myself.

Two times a week Ellen has a special helper come
to help her with life and social skills.

But because of the current situation we are all facing
she is not coming.

Ellen was very upset at first 
but soon settled down and accepted it.

Each Friday she makes a dessert so
yesterday was Friday and we made a dessert!


Making the brownie part,
GF of course because we have several here who need it.
Me included.


Working on the pudding part.




Pudding going on top of the cooled brownies.


Chocolate chips on top of the cool whip layer.


She ate one too ☺

Oh how we enjoyed this dessert after dinner!

Ellen enjoyed her first dessert in a month!
Yes, this girl chose not to eat snacks or any junk food
for 30 days.
Not a thing...
no candy
no ice cream
no cookies
no muffins at church
not even any of the desserts she made!

She ate carrots and applesauce instead of snacking.
She ate lots of salad
and didn't eat second helpings.

At the Dr. on Monday she was 4 lbs less than a month ago!

So, this dessert tasted very good to her.
She decided to allow a small amount on weekends.

I was trying to eat better too.
I did do better for the last month
but my blood work showed my diet was a bit sloppy.

Numbers weren't terrible, thankfully. 
but had I been eating more carefully 
they probably would have been as good as 6 months ago.

Of course I won't go see the Dr on Monday as was scheduled,
the appointment was moved to April.
My Dr sent a message that the labs looked ok to her 
and we would discuss more at my appointment.


It's been movie night each evening for the kids 
since there isn't any school the next day.
(no lessons at home either.
Don't know if that will change in the future)

One evening these two became my movie buddies....

Their brother wanted to watch a movie they weren't interested in 
so we gathered on Nana's bed and watched Freaky Friday.

That was fun ♥

I've heard that people are lighting up their yards, etc, with Christmas lights
to spread cheer through this hard time.

For once, we got our outside Christmas light away 
soon after Christmas!

Hubby had just taken the icicle lights down around the screened porch too.
But he decided to put up the lights we hadn't hung in about 2 years.

I plugged them in earlier in the day
and no one unplugged them.
Soooooo,


my view from my bed ♥

All the white dots are houses in the development below us,
which we won't see after the leaves are on the trees.


We are probably facing this for some time yet.
I miss my family tremendously!

I'd love to go out to eat.
We really don't go out much except on Sunday after church.

Could get takeout but haven't. 
Could shop online and might.

I did order coffee today on Amazon ...
important stuff ☺☺

I miss church!!

Really, I am fine.
We are doing fine.
We can do this!

Take care, dear friends!
Love and prayers ♥












6 comments:

Mari said...

Yay for Ellen! I'm very impressed.
70's sounds great - it was 34 here today and windy.
I miss church too!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Ellen's dessert looks yummy and I proud of her for losing the weight. We are stuck in the house and not going anywhere either, but most everything here is shut down. Fortunately, my son had gotten to the grocery store before and got plenty of food for us so we are eating, playing board games and watching tv to pass the time. We have had some good talk sessions too! Be safe.

Theresa said...

Ellen, great job on the dessert! It looks DELICIOUS! We are making it too but I sure could use some time with my family. I miss them:( Have a blessed day dear Doris, HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the updates, Doris, and for also posting that wonderful looking brownie dessert. It looked delicious just from the photos! We are doing well here in NH. Sheltering in our apt and only going out for walks or to the store. Thanks for asking about everyone. We're glad to read you are all doing well too.

Unknown said...

I always enjoy reading your comments-Ellen's dessert looked yummy, My crew has been enjoying more baked goods then usual and I am sure we will all be glad when we can get out and about. God is always Good, I hope families use this time together to realize how important we are to each other,sharing memories and making new memories while waiting out this virus. Maybe this is Gods way of saying--Slow down and appreciate what we all have. Take care and stay safe.

Mary Ellen said...

You have a great family to hang out with there in your house. Movie time sounds fun, love the one of you three in your bed, and Ellen's dessert! And the lights on your deck add a nice festive touch to these different days. Love to you all.