Friday, July 19, 2019

Sibling Weekend 2019

Is it hot where you are? Oh my, it's hot and so humid here. Last weekend when my siblings were together I said to my sister Rose, who's from the Atlanta area, that I would guess that it's hotter in her area. And she told me that she always feels like it's worse here in Lancaster, PA. What?? Totally surprised me.

Last week at this time I was with my siblings at our brother's home. It was absolutely the best time! I'll just post some pictures and add some comments....no moment by moment journal account here. I let that up to my sister Jean who does a marvelous job recounting our time together. musicaljean.blogspot.com








The game of corn hole provided a lot of laughter Friday evening.
Laughter comes quite easily for us!

My sister, Jean, was having some crazy unexpected success
at this game....none of us have ever been athletic
so any success is always unexpected ☺


I cannot resist a pretty sky!


Jean and Rose

Back inside again.
The chatting continues!


Betty (Elizabeth) arrived safely from her long drive from NH.
Checking something out on a phone....
must have been something funny!


Saturday morning after a leisurely and very yummy breakfast 
the ladies piled into my van 
and off to Longwood Gardens we went.

Our brother wasn't interested.
He had a project at home that interested him more than 
plants and flowers!



Looking forward to a great day!



The fountain show was spectacular!



Nancy and Barb.




Rose








We had a wonderful picnic lunch under the trees
in a picnic area near the gardens.


I played around with the coloring ☺

We found shade to sit and relax for a bit....
we did lots and lots of walking!!






It was a long time since I had been to Longwood Gardens.
Even though it had changed a lot
it was still an absolutely beautiful place to 
spend part of a day!

But oh my, we were hot and tired by the end of the day!

Sunday had a slow start again.
 Some went for a walk on a rail trail....
it was much too hot for me to even consider that.

After a wonderful lunch of hot dogs and hamburgers
that my brother grilled,
we went to see our step mother, Mary.

Breakfast at the same table we sat around as kids!

We used it for many years and last year I decided
we no longer needed it.
Nancy and Dick were thrilled to have it 
and we are thrilled to all sit around it when we gather at their house.
Oh the memories!


Official sibling picture
2019
taken by Nancy.
She'a a very talented photographer!

(Standing by height, not by age.....
some of us missed out on the tall genes!!)

Our precious Mary lives in a beautiful small 
retirement home. 


She took us on a tour then we met in a nice room
where we talked and laughed....
Mary is still as funny as ever!...
and we sang too.


Telling a funny story...
we all just howled with laughter!

I didn't take many pictures...
sometimes I just wish to enjoy and not be snapping pics.


What a delightful lady, our sweet Mary!



We took an opportunity for a group pic 
in front of a mural in the dining room.


Back to the house for some more
corn hole and then 
ice cream around the table.

Nancy is quite the gardener!

All too soon it was time for goodbye hugs.
Why does the time have to go by so quickly??

I realize this was a surface post.....
We did so much talking, 
soooo much laughing....
hard belly laughs!
We did a lot of reminiscing too.

I. Love. These. People!!

But you know what?

Home is wonderful too ☺


Ellen was waiting for me with this sign she made.
How sweet is that?

Family is wonderful.
So blessed!!


8 comments:

Mari said...

Sister time is the best! I enjoy this because I really feel like I know your family, and I think my sisters and I would fit right in with you guys. We would be laughing right with you - or as our kids say - we cackle!
I was at Longwood gardens about 8 years ago and it is sooo beautiful
Glad you had this time together.

Kathy said...

Oh how wonderful your weekend was! I felt the love and joy spring right from your post. It's been a long time since I was at Longwood Gardens too. I doubt I could walk it anymore. But it is so beautiful. My brother goes there a lot. He and my sister-in-law have a pass so it is cheaper for them. Your poor brother was certainly outnumbered by the sisters. :)

Susie said...

Doris, I loved the pictures. The family photos are the best, you are a nice looking family. Mary is so blessed to be loved by all you children. Isn't laughter such an awesome spirit lifter too. That's how it is with all my siblings too. Ellen's sign is beautiful, you know you are loved. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

Laurel Wood said...

Oh, I enjoyed reading about your siblings time together and the wonderful pictures. The garden looks like a lovely place to visit; I just wish it had been cooler for your visit. Thankful everyone had safe travel. So nice that you could visit with dear Mary, too. Best of all, was the sweet welcome home from Ellen! Love you all!

Theresa said...

I wanna go❤️ You all have so much fun on this trip. I loved seeing all of these sweet faces and the fun you all had together. Enjoy your weekend dear Doris. Hugs

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There’s nothing better than time spent with family especially when you also have such great fun get togethers, Doris. Enjoyed your 2019 sibling reunion.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

You are so blessed to have your sisters and brother and can spend time with them. Being an only child makes me appreciate your bunch even more!

Mary Ellen said...

It was most enjoyable to re-read this post and reminisce our special weekend together.