Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Some Old Stuff

Since the old house has been cleaned out and the new family has moved in (settlement won't happen till later in August), busy has taken a bit of a break around here. Don't get me wrong, we haven't stopped being busy, just the crazy part!!

When we were cleaning out the barn, my hubby thought my brother may want some things that were my Dad's. My parents bought that property when I was 9 or 10. 
We still had some things that belonged to them. 

Do these pictures remind you of a popular TV show??



Looks like American Pickers =)
My brother did want this stuff.

I also took pictures and sent them to my large family to ask if anyone wanted any of this stuff.


My sister Jeanie said the strawberry boxes 
were a bad memory.
She didn't like picking strawberries.
When we lived on the farm,
Mom had a huge patch of strawberries. 
She sold them to help fund our family needs.



These are so neat and so dirty.
There were 3.
I kept one to plant flowers in (next year)
but I didn't need the other two.
The large one was our baby bath tub!
One is going to my niece in Hawaii!
The other one is staying with my brother and his wife.

This old calendar was in....


...this old tin can.
My brother wanted it.
The calendar was from the year he was born.
Mom had recorded on it 
when she paid a bill and 
how much it was.
So interesting.
So neat whenever I see the handwriting of my mom or dad!

One of my sisters asked if there was money hidden in that old can.
I replied that I didn't dig into it
but I doubted there was any to be found!
We grew up in a home of abundant love
but 
not abundant in money or material things.
If I had to choose an abundance of anything,
I would choose love!


These three things are going to the new owners of our home. 
They will purchase them but I don't know how much any are worth.






It feels so good to have our old home empty of our stuff. We brought enough old stuff with us to keep the feel of the our old home with us ♥ Hopefully Hubs will soon be able to work on the barn door that is to be our bedroom door. Love it! And, he also brought some old shutters along to make a headboard for our bed. See, the old house lives on here at the new house. I like that. A lot!


7 comments:

Renee Groff said...

This stuff is right up my alley, Doris! The older, the better! :) Love those strawberry carriers!

Jean said...

So interesting! But I think I had too much "old" at our East Pete and Hossler Road houses. Things like that just don't appeal to me like they apparently do to Renee.

Jean said...

I actually do have one of those basins however. I use it regularly when I need to presoak some laundry. I have no idea where I got it. Maybe Dick's mom. And we do have our old guest bedroom furniture, which came from Dick's grandpa. That old picture of Jesus in the garden that I got from you looks good with that furniture.

Anonymous said...

We love the Pickers show. It is fun to see your items. How nice that you will incorporate a few special things from the old into the new home. So happy for you guys.

Susan said...

"Old stuff" can be some of the "best stuff" ... how wonderful to have some tangible memories to pass along to your sweet little ones! I have some that I will pass down to our little ones too --- it keeps our heritage alive :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

For sure that collection brought back memories for you and your family, Doris. Clearing stuff out is a good thing.

White Lace and Promises said...

How did I miss this post?? I love all these things! At one time, I had a whole cabinet of the enamelware with red and black rings. I had a large bowl that my niece and nephew sat in. The used my old red handled kitchen utensils and pretended playing house. They are now almost 15 and 12 and still remember those days.