Saturday, July 17, 2021

Sibling Weekend

 I'll highlight a bit of our time together.

My pictures will serve as a good reminder for me since it's already a week later!

We had the best time just as we always do,

and so needed after the challenging year we have all been through.


Our weekend started Friday afternoon.

The sisters were staying at a small house just outside our hometown...

in fact, we could see the farm

 that all but one of us had lived in many years ago!

Our dad bought the farm from the folks that had lived in the house we were staying in.

So cool!


Friday evening we had dinner at our brother's home.

No pictures of that fabulous dinner, sadly!

Before leaving the little house to go there, 

the heavens opened up and gave us 

a humdinger of a storm...

heavy rain, intense (crazy!) wind, some thunder and lightning.

Unfortunately we were all in my van ready to leave

but wasn't safe to drive and wasn't safe to go back inside either.

It was crazy!!!

As soon as it was safe we moseyed on to our waiting dinner!

After dinner pic...
l-r Rose (GA), Betty (NH), Barb (ID), me, Jean, Mary Ellen, Dick (all PA)


As you can see it ended up to be a beautiful evening.
Sunset and all.
We played corn hole, lots of laughter!! 
(Jean and Barb at one end, Nancy and Rose at the other end)
While playing our sister Betty arrived from NH.
We were so happy to see her!

After saying our goodbyes there 
we headed back to the house,
sat around the big dining table and talked till about 1a!

Saturday we were in no hurry to go anywhere which was perfect!
At some point my daughter Gina sent me a text
 to let me know that she and Justin were meeting Kim (another daughter of mine)
at Twin Kiss in town.
I could not let that happen without me
so I met them there too!


Kim treated us to some delicious ice cream, yum!

Back to the house again

 and then off to some local stores for some shopping.

Fun thing to do with sisters 👍

Dinner that evening was pulled pork and coleslaw

made by me.

Also made a chocolate cake in our moms cakepan.


We spent a lot of time around that wonderful table!!


Sunday was a slow start again, we were loving the no hurry this time.

Later in the afternoon we attended the burial service for the father-in-law of Rose

who had passed away earlier this year.

Several of her children were coming for the service

 so it was wonderful to see them.




Sooo good to sit around a table with these kids!! (young adults 😊)

Two daughters were not able to come.

That evening found us at our brothers home again

for ice cream and more.

And more talking too!

We also saw two videos of pictures of our sweet step mother Mary 

that Jean put together for us.

It was wonderful but sad too.

We miss her like crazy!!

Back to the house again where we sat around the table,

ate leftovers and talked and talked again!!

But we did get ourselves to bed earlier at least.

Barb left very early in the morning to fly back to Idaho.

Mary Ellen took her and came back for breakfast,

Jean took Rose to the airport,

and Betty drove back to her home.

Was good to hear as one by one said they had safely arrived!

It was the best time and went way too fast!

This week there were many texts between us

because we still were not done talking!!

We just never run out of things to talk about.


I confess to feeling like this week was a let down 

since I no longer had this special event to look forward to.

I guess I can look forward to this event,

whenever it will be 😄

Looks like we will be having tomatoes someday!


In other news...

Saw this in the newspaper this morning..

yes, we still get the daily newspaper...

because we are old!!

Anyway, Dale had done some carpentry work for this lady

many years ago.

In fact, he took me to the house to show me...

it was beautiful!

She gave me two cookbooks that she had put together

of recipes used for her colonial dinners.

Two of those recipes have been part of our Christmas dinners

ever since!

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes

I, and our entire bunch, are forever grateful!


It's brewing a storm out there again. 

Will be nice to be rid of temps in the 90's for a few days, whoop whoop!


6 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I had that let down feeling this week too. The weekend was anticipated for so long and then so quickly it is over, but what a wonderful weekend it was.

Mari said...

I've been folowing along on your sisters adventures through Jean. I love hearing about it and I tell her it reminds me of time with my sisters. So much love and always laughter. And like you, I have only one brother. However, he has it easier than Dick as he only has 3 sisters to deal with. :)
Glad you had such fun with your siblings and your kids too!

Laurel Wood said...

I am so glad you all had this opportunity to be together. I love the photos and am thankful everyone made it home safely. Your tomato plants look awesome!❤️

Suemn said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures of your sisters get-together!

Theresa said...

I want to be adopted by your family:) Looks like the best time, just being together is perfect! I will look forward to next year, you and your siblings having fun times again! Our tomatoes are CRAZY this year. I am giving them away, we just can't eat them all and canning is too much work. Enjoy your day with your sweet memories of sibling weekend. HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Always glad to read about and see photos of your sibling get togethers, Doris. It looked and sounded like you all had a wonderful time together sharing good times and making new memories. The time does pass quickly.