Thursday, July 19, 2018

Witmer Retreat 2018, part 1

Starting again, sigh.

Last evening I started this post, loaded several pictures and wrote some words even though I really was too tired to think or feel creative. Then.......don't know what I did.............but it all disappeared except the title. I thought I had saved most of what I wrote because I had gone out of the blog to do something else on the computer then came back to it. It was all there then. Such a mystery.

So here we go again!

Friday, July 13.....
never once thought about it being Friday the 13th!

The descendants of Paul and Mabel Witmer 




began gathering at the beautiful retreat campus of 
Refreshing Mountain in Stevens, PA. 
This was our third time having our family gathering there.
 It's perfect!!

Everyone brought snacks to share and the tables were full when we arrived!


Yummy stuff!


So good.....

Chatting, playing games, puzzles....
it's all SO good!!


Scott couldn't just stand there while I snapped a picture!!

More fun....

Who knew that a whoopie cushion would be the favorite toy?

It wasn't only the kids that had fun with that thing =)


They pretty much wore it out!!


We needed some sleep so to bed we went.


We had rooms in the wonderful lodge....

This picture is taken from their brochure.
The meeting room we use is right below the rooms, very convenient.

Saturday, July 14

Breakfast was prepared for us in the dining hall.
Lots of groups were there so mealtimes are scheduled and tables assigned.
We had two long tables right in the middle!




Even with my Gluten Free diet I could find plenty to eat.
We are just so thankful to have meals prepared for us!

Later the fun group activities began.

Physical Challenge....for all ages!
So fun to watch....yes, I was a watcher, not a participant.

Skipping around the playground 
in groups of three.


Leap frog and push-ups.


SO good to have Grandma Mary with us!


Sit ups....
some of these challenges were hard work!!
We have some amazing athletes in this bunch.


Some other activities that day -

A low ropes course....
two new levels but very challenging,
so I heard.
Nope, didn't do that  either. I'm not crazy ;-)


I didn't get any pictures of the second level.
It was really hot and I probably went back to the conference room.


This pool is 
Amazing!!
You bet I did this  =)



Getting instruction for the GPS Nature Hunt.
That was a challenging one too. 


There was also a paintball target shoot
but I didn't tag along for pictures. 

Love this sitting area!


Love the people too!


After dinner it was time for the activity that all the kids were asking,
is it time for s'mores yet??



Yummy s'mores,
good conversations around a fire,
a beautiful night!

I will stop here for today.
Still more to share another time,
this is long enough!

Last collage.....


 Cute kids!!







7 comments:

Jean said...

It’s so fun to see the pictures the rest of you took. It’s just not possible to be everywhere! Did you do the GPS Nature Hunt? I definitely took a break in the lodge during that one. My feet were killing me.

Doris said...

Jeanie, no I didn't. Should have I guess but I thought Ellen would participate more if I didn't go....could have gone with another group after her group took off. One thing for sure, I wouldn't have been able to keep up with Scott's group! They were going to win, and they did!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful lodge and such fun photos. Looks like you stayed busy and how nice to have meals prepared. Wishing you a happy weekend. xo
Mildred

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

WOW, you did have a good time....lots of family, lots of fun. Thanks for posting the pictures and I look forward to more. In the meantime have a great Friday.

Theresa said...

What a wonderful time with family! Nothing better! Thank you for sharing these pictures of your retreat, wish I was right there with you all:) Have a blessed day dear Doris, HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a greatbplace for your family gathering, Doris, and it sure looks like everyone was having such fun. And, even nicer that meals were prepared so no kitchen chores!

Mari said...

I love that you started this with a photo of your parents. They would be so proud of all of you and would love that you were doing this.
This looks like such a great place for a reunion. I told Jean I wish there was a place like that near us in Michigan. We would have such fun!
You have a wonderful family and I really enjoyed the photos.