Friday, May 25, 2018

Sisters

I'm certain that many can get along just fine without a sister but I'm happy to be one who's blessed with more than one. I'm blessed with 6! Janet lives in heaven now, Mary Ellen from PA, Jeanie from PA, Barb from Idaho, Betty (known as Elizabeth to all but Betty to us) from New Hampshire, Rose from Georgia. And I have one sister-in-law, Nancy, from PA too. When we all get together it's the best of times!! 

This past weekend was the annual trip to State College for a three sister weekend at Jeanie's house. Mary Ellen and I went on Friday afternoon this year instead of Saturday morning because the time was just too short to do two days. Guess what, the time was too short again. But did we ever have fun!

I didn't take many pictures. Taking my good camera but leaving the camera card in my computer at home.....well, that's just not something that works! My cell phone had to do. 

Friday late afternoon Mary Ellen and I arrived at Jeanies house. She told us she wouldn't be home but we were to go in and make ourselves at home. We did! We found some Hershey chocolate candy and helped ourselves to that and made some coffee :) Then we sat on her porch to welcome her home. She came home but didn't notice us on the porch. She was taking her good old time getting out....gathering her stuff, looking at stuff, gathering some more....meanwhile Mary Ellen and I were trying not to let our giggles escape. It was soon impossible to stay quiet! We had a good laugh right at the start of our time together. We had a delicious dinner and ended our evening with a funny movie. What a great start! 

Next morning we started early....there was an important wedding to "attend". 


Jeanie thought we had to wear a fascinator and provided one for each of us!


Totally enjoying the wedding!! In our night clothes, don't tell anyone ;-)

Later we decided to head out to visit the arboretum, something we have not been able to do the last couple of years because of yucky cold weather. We went but didn't stay....was too cold and windy. Again, on May 19. Decided to wait till later and hope for it to be warmer. Thrift shopping and a bit of grocery shopping was done instead. And a late lunch at Sower's Harvest Cafe.


 It's such a neat little restaurant! And well known in State College. When school is in session there are lines out the door waiting to get in. Thankfully school is not in session right now and we even got my sisters favorite table. Lovely! 



I had a delicious sandwich (can't remember what I ordered!) served on GF bread and that beautiful cup of chai. 

Eventually we headed back to the arboretum, it was [maybe] warmer but filled with many...tons!....dressed up teens and their parents! Prom night at 3 local high schools and pictures being taken everywhere!! 


There weren't many flowers blooming. 

But I did get my only sniff I had this year of this....

Lilacs were past their prime too and I had to reach high to bring it to my nose! 


Jeanie asked her friend to take our picture. She was there taking pictures of a prom-going grandchild. 

We went back home to warm up and relax. Didn't eat dinner because we weren't hungry and we knew we wanted to go back to town to the famous Berkey Creamery for ice cream later. 


It's the best ice cream! I always get Peachy Paterno....sooo good!! 

Sunday morning came too soon but we all got out the door for church on time. Jeanie is the choir director at a United Methodist church and her hubby is part of the band. 


These four can certainly make some beautiful music!! 

Next it was back to the house to pack up our stuff then go to Jeanie and Dicks son's beautiful mountain property for a cookout Brunch. It was a wonderful time!! 


What a view! 

The weather was finally warming up. Could ditch our jackets but a sweater felt good. The guys were comfortable in shorts and T's :)


Wonderful people, amazing food made on a wood fire, beautiful surroundings. The best of times! 

Then all too soon it was time for Mary Ellen and I to head back to our homes again. Another wonderful sister weekend filed to our memory banks. It was totally delightful and I look forward to next year! 

It's been a very busy week. School is winding down for the year and many special activities are being held for the kids. It's all fun and very tiring. Grandson Aidan had a concert this week and wanted to dress to the nines for it....but getting a good picture of him is almost impossible!!


He's such a nut!! 

I almost forgot to include this picture of my sisters in our fascinators....


Fancy old ladies :))

Happy Memorial Day weekend! Hope to get to a greenhouse to purchase some annuals. I buy, hubby plants, and waters, and weeds, and we have beautiful flower beds. What a lovely arrangement, for me ;-)

Wishing you a wonderful day!



9 comments:

Jean said...

Well, I just enjoyed the weekend all over again!! Like you said, next year you'll have to come on Thursday, haha! I love your collage from the arboretum!!

Great pictures of Aiden!

Karen said...

What a wonderful time. I love your hats. Beautiful photos of the arboretum.

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks for capturing our fun weekend so well. Last week at this time we were soon headed for State College. So ready to do it again!

Anonymous said...

Sounds/looks like so much fun with your sisters, Doris. I love the photos you shared. I got up early and watched the royal wedding, too. Your hats are fabulous! God bless you and yours this weekend. xo

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I certaining enjoyed 'going on your sister weekend' and hearing all about it. Love your hats for the big wedding! Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

NanaDiana said...

Doris! What a blessing to have sisters to love and even more of a blessing that they live close enough to see some of them. You are so lucky. I never had a sister and always wanted one. I had one wonderful brother (from PA) and he is in heaven now, too, like your sister.

I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend. xo Diana

ps-LOVE the fascinators!

Mari said...

I have only 2 sisters but love spending time with them. I always enjoy reading about your time together from both you and Jean. Such good times and so many laughs!

Theresa said...

What a fun time! I wish I had been with you ladies:) Of course you found a porch to sit on:) I loved seeing all of these pictures, phones take good pics and we always have them with us! That's mostly what I use for my picture taking! Have a blessed day dear Doris, BIG HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy holiday weekend to you and your family, Doris. I hope that the weather in PA is better than we're having here in Nashua, NH where it's been overcast, chilly and damp on Sunday and Monday. Looks like you and your sisters had such great fun, as always, and who doesn't include a stop for ice cream during those good times together? Thanks, as always, for the comments on my recent blog post about our grandchildren and always nice to see yours too!