Friday, January 18, 2013

Recipes

Here are the recipes that I used for dinner yesterday.

French Onion Patty Melts

French onion soup meets a burger and results in this delicious combination.
by Rachael Ray | on 10/12/12

Ingredients

  • 5 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 3 large onions, thinly sliced
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry (I didn't have so didn't use!)
  • 1/2 cup beef stock or beef consommé
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck or sirloin
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 8 slices good-quality white bread
  • 8 slices Gruyère or Swiss cheese
  • Cornichons, for garnish
Serves 4

Preparation

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium size skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and season with salt, pepper and thyme; cook until caramel in color and very soft, 25-30 minutes. Add the sherry and stock.
Combine the beef with Worcestershire sauce, parsley, Dijon, salt and pepper; form four patties.

Heat a griddle or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle with EVOO and cook the patties for 7-8 minutes, turning once. Clean the griddle and return to the stovetop over medium heat.
Butter the bread slices on one side and build patty melts with butter sides out, stacking the bread, cheese, onions, a patty, more onions, cheese and bread.
Grill the sandwiches until crispy and golden and the cheese has melted. Serve the patty melts with a simple watercress salad and cornichons alongside; pass extra mustard at the table.


Balsamic Roasted Potatoes - The Lazy Cook Blog (Found on Pinterest)
Ingredients:
Baby new potatoes [yellow or red]
Garlic [Minced]
Olive oil
1 tablespoon Rosemary
1 tablespoon Basil
1 teaspoon Paprika
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt & Pepper

Steps:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1) Wash potatoes, and cut them in half [or quarters if they are big]
2) Place potato halves in a large bowl.
3) Add rosemary, basil, paprika, garlic, and two tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well so that all potatoes are covered.
4) Coat a large oven-proof dish with olive oil, or PAM spray.
5) Place the potato halves in the pan, and spread evenly.
6) Roast for about 25 minutes, until tender.
7) Take potatoes out of the oven, add the balsamic vinegar, some salt and pepper.
8) Put the potatoes back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
Enjoy!

  • I baked them for longer than it says. It may have been because my potatoes were not small new potatoes.
  • I thought the potatoes seemed dry when I pulled them out to sprinkle balsamic on them so I drizzled more olive oil over them too.
 
***************************************************************
 
Because you asked.....

Here is my attempt to take a picture of myself....phone doesn't a reverse camera. As you can see (sorta) my hair is just a bit shorter and if I don't tuck it behind my ears, the silver/white isn't all that visible. It's there all over my head, believe me!! I guess I should have taken a shot of the other side of my head. That's where the silver shows more. Because of the side part, more top hair is swept over the the silver on this side of my head. With this cut, my hair gives more of a highlighted look.


 
 

 Aidan and Zoe will be here in an hour or so. Better get busy with some chores I want to get done before they arrive. Blessings to you, stay warm!
 

7 comments:

Jean said...

Recipe sounds awesome and your hair looks GREAT!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipes. I love your hair cut and it does look highlighted. You are going to love the ease/convenience of leaving off the color. Enjoy the weekend.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Thanks for the picture ... I LOVE your hair cut. You look adorable.

Fondly,
Glenda

Theresa said...

Love the hair:) Mine is SO gray at the roots from years of coloring SO, doesn't look good growing out at all! YOURS is gorgeous! Thanks for the recipes, I made potatoes similar to those last night for dinner:) Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Roasting chicken on Sunday and these roasted potatoes will go perfectly. Luckily, we bought some red potatoes today!

momto8 said...

love the recipes..oh how yum!!
and what a great photo... your hair is flattering!

Wendy Annabeth said...

This sounds delish! I thought you might be interested in a giveaway I'm hosting for BluApple :) http://www.domesticsweetheart.blogspot.com/2013/01/bluapple-review-giveaway.html

P.S. I'm also a new GFC follower :)